A few weeks ago, we got a tiny taste of bizarre weather here in our little Walnut Creek community. It came down pretty hard for a while, as you can see, a lot of the plants took it pretty hard. I thought this tomato here was a goner.
But I was wrong! Look at that tomato go! She really recovered and is probably going to be transplanted to the garden today.
Already this winter has given us more snow than we’ve really been accustomed to. Last year we had a lot of heavy snows and we usually have some snow every winter but not like this. Today we’re getting snow from what I think is the fourth significant storm already this season and it’s just January 10!
So obviously I can’t get out of here for a few days. If you have not seen my driveway, allow me to simply say that it is responsible for many a tale of woe, mostly when in it’s icy glacial snow or post-snow state. I will not be posting pictures of the devilish driveway because the last time I walked down there to check on the condition of the driving surface I slipped on the scary part so you will just have to take my word for it for the time being.
I decided to get to work on an art project. I have been waiting for the chance to get to work on that snakeskin, so here are some pictures of how far I got with it today.
The dry snakeskin was shedding it’s scales. I found that the easiest way to get them off was to just pass it over my thumb while rubbing them off with my finger.
I had some concerns about the leather, mostly that the grain on the non-smooth side would give me problems, but I definitely wanted the smooth side of the leather out so I decided to go for it and hope for the best.
So I put a thin layer of contact cement on both halves, the back of the snakeskin and the inner suede grain of the leather. The leather was just a scrap I got out of the bin at Earth Guild.
The problem is that I don’t think I have any grommets or snaps to finish the piece. It may have to wait until after the snow melts!
One good thing about snow days is that you pretty much get forced to do some work. Here at the alchemy lab I’ve been retooling our labels and making some Seven Deadly Sins samplers. Can’t wait to show everyone the new packaging idea!
Also we poured up the yellow root tincture and I am testing the bundle of yellowroot to see if any dye remains in the sticks. I’m trying it on my police line scarf, the yellow has faded from that one a lot. We’ll see. If it doesn’t do much I may throw in some turmeric.
AND, I’ve almost finished another police line scarf…if noone buys it before Saturday I’ll have it at my booth at the Madison County Arts Council Holiday sale, at the Arts Council building on Main Street in Marshall.
Looks like I will be making a snakeskin project for my Design Project. I am looking for the right kind of glue to use on snakeskin. I have not decided what I am going to make but it will probably be something simple since I have never worked with snakeskin before.