Today as I was looking over my shelves of unfinished projects to figure out what to do, I found these plastic bags stuffed into a King Tut shopping bag (as in, from our trip to see Tut at the Franklin institute a few years ago. Still trying to figure out what to make out of that bag too). A few years ago I was going nuts over plastic bags and trying to find various ways to make them into other things, while at the same time other people were doing the same. I tried fusing plastic bags so many times and just couldn’t get the hang of it, but I did learn that I had more success with the thicker, more plasticized bags, and saved a few, apparently. So I decided to see if I could achieve some plastic fusing success today. I could not open the window, since it is below freezing today, so you can all blame the plasticizers for the part of my senile dementia that can’t be explained by the bonk on the head when I was a teenager…but that’s another story…
I had a really big piece of plastic from a bag a coat came in. I split that and laid it flat and started arranging the smaller bags on it.
The paper grocery bag worked out well, still, the plastic was hard to be consistent with. It would get too hot and the paper would stick, especially where the red dye/paint was on the outside of the bag. If I were to do it again I would maybe put the red toward the inside.
I set my iron a little hotter than medium. If you used thinner paper you would definitely need to use a lower setting. You have to fiddle with it to get the right setting and the right amount of ironing action.
Now I need to figure out a completed project made of this plastic sheet. It might just become a plastic sheet to carry in the car for those times you want something plastic to sit on or cover the seat with. I don’t want to make too big a deal about the plastic bag tarp. It’s plastic bags.